Field Testing Technician
This certification is for personnel who test concrete in the field.
It is an entry level certification with no prerequisites. A working knowledge of the following ASTM standards is required for this certification:
- ASTM C1064 Temperature of Freshly Mixed Concrete
- ASTM C172 Sampling of Freshly Mixed Concrete
- ASTM C143 Slump of Hydraulic Cement Concrete
- ASTM C138 Unit Weight, Yield and Air Content (Gravimetric) of Concrete
- ASTM C231 Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Pressure Method
- ASTM C173 Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Volumetric Method
- ASTM C31 Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Field
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both criteria:
- A passing grade on the Written Examination; and
- Successful completion of the ACI Performance Examination
The one-hour written examination is “closed book” and consists of 55 multiple choice questions. In addition the performance exam, which is also "closed book," requires you to perform each of the seven ASTM standard test methods. Once you pass both the written and performance exams, you are certified as a Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I for five years. Certification registration fees include the current ACI Study Guide, procedure review session, written and performance exams. The mandatory procedure review consists of an oral presentation and viewing the ACI video tape of the testing procedures.
THIS IS NOT A TRAINING COURSE!